Subject: Re: [boost] request for interest: stable vector
From: JOAQUIN M. LOPEZ MUÑOZ (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-14 13:44:09

Hi Emil,
De: boost-bounces_at_[hidden] [boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] En nombre de Emil Dotchevski [emil_at_[hidden]]
Enviado el: domingo, 14 de septiembre de 2008 19:35
Para: boost_at_[hidden]
Asunto: Re: [boost] request for interest: stable vector

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 9:42 AM, JOAQUIN M. LOPEZ MUÑOZ <joaquin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I recently wrote up the implementation of a *stable* vector,
> a container mimicking the interface of std::vector except that
> it provides iterator and reference stability at the expense of
> losing memory contiguity:
>
> http://bannalia.blogspot.com/2008/09/introducing-stablevector.html

Could you compare the space requirements and complexity of operations
of your stable_vector and std::deque (which has stable references as
well)?

std::deque has no stable references in general; 23.2.2.3/19 (on std::deque
insertion operations) says:

  Effects: An insertion in the middle of the deque invalidates all the iterators
  and references to elements of the deque. An insertion at either end of the
  deque invalidates all the iterators to the deque, but has no effect on the
  validity of references to elements of the deque.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo