Boost logo

Boost :

Subject: Re: [boost] [ATTN Beman] request permission to merge Proto to release
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-14 17:53:37

I should say I think this is really great. This give users the option
to upgrade to a tested package without having to wait for 1.37.

I do have one suggestion. I have a release tree on my machine.
I'm concerned that I accidently check in a change into the Release
tree when I mean to check in to the trunk. I would not want to
be responsable for creating any more havoc than necessary. To
this end, I wonder if wouldn't be a good idea for the release
manager to lock the release branch. This is easily done with
SVN. He could then unlock it for specific merges or do the
merge himself - which ever he prefers. I don't think it would
be a huge burden as I see these kinds of check-ins occuring
a few times/month and the amount of effort to lock/unlock
the branch is very small. It would also prevent the possibilty
of the release manager getting caught with his pants down
by some accidental or untested change he wasn't aware of.

and another suggestion. I keep a release branch on my
machine. The serialization library directories have been
switched to the trunk. So I can test against the latest
release ready version of boost. This gives me a lot
of confidence that when I merge my changes into the
release branch (subject to release manager approval
of course), that I won't have any surprise breakages.

Robert Ramey

Eric Niebler wrote:
> I'd like to merge Proto from trunk to release. The API is stable, the
> tests are now passing on most toolsets (though it's hard to see from
> the test results at the moment because of a Boost.Test bug), and much
> of the review feedback about the docs has been accommodated. I still
> plan to make doc improvements before 1.37, but I don't think that
> should hold up the show.
> OK to proceed?

Boost list run by bdawes at, gregod at, cpdaniel at, john at