Subject: Re: [boost] request for interest: stable vector
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-15 15:26:32

JOAQUIN M. LOPEZ MUÑOZ wrote:
> I recently wrote up the implementation of a *stable* vector,
> a container mimicking the interface of std::vector except that
> it provides iterator and reference stability at the expense of
> losing memory contiguity:
>
> http://bannalia.blogspot.com/2008/09/introducing-stablevector.html

Very interesting.

> If there is interest in the community this could be grown
> into a full-fledged proposal for Boost (either by me or by any
> other interested colleague).

Yes. I'would be interested in an Interprocess-friendly version ;-).
Since it's a node-based container and competes against std::vector and
its well known performance, I think stable_vector is a perfect candidate
to use a bit more unconventional allocators like these (using burst
allocation for nodes and reallocation for the index vector):

http://www.drivehq.com/web/igaztanaga/allocplus/

And if I'm not wrong, unlike std::vector, stable_vector could support
non-copyable and non-movable objects.

> Joaquín M López Muñoz
> Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo

Regards,