Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Process 0.3 released
From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 15:02:58

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:57:30 +0200, Ilya Sokolov <ilyasokol_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

Hi Ilya,

> Boris wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I just saw that Ilya Sokolov created another snapshot based on
>> Boost.Process in SVN. That means we have again at least two different
>> versions of Boost.Process. :-/
>
> It is not a problem. We can merge our libraries, but I prefer to do it
> later, when we both investigate the most of problems independently. I
> hope we will achieve a better design this way, what do you think?

 from what I understand you plan more to play around with the design? My
plan was and is to create a Boost.Process version which works reliably
today as I need to manage child processes in a commercial software (that
was the reason why I picked up Boost.Process at all). That's why I
concentrated on stabilizing code and testing everything.

If you plan to continue to play around with the design (like dropping
classes like posix_context and win32_context) I think it's a good idea to
do this in a different version. I wouldn't mind if someone takes over my
Boost.Process version (feel free to copy the implementation of various
functions if you want, Ilya). I just need versions which are safe to use
in a commercial project. From what I've seen your Boost.Process version
wouldn't compile for example in MSVC if Unicode is used?

Regarding future development: I plan to improve support for asynchronous
I/O. I'm also interested in integrating Boost.Interprocess and
Boost.Process somehow (like using shared memory instead of streams for
interprocess communication). What are your plans?

Boris