Subject: Re: [boost] generative geometry algorithms library idea
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-26 16:56:49

Hi Brandon,

Interesting to see another geometry library appearing into the Boost
list. It definitely shows the need of such a library in the Boost
community.

I don't know if you followed the list this year. In January and in March
I posted two previews of a geometry library, based on similar concepts
as the library you posted: generic, based on templates, header only,
defines points, lines and polygons (which might have holes, this is
probably a difference) and has operations on these. It also has 2D/3D
possibilities.

Based on these previews there has been much discussion on the list,
especially about the underlying concepts and how explicit they were made
in the library code.

Bruno Lalande, Boost-contributor and active member of the Boost
community, joined and together we worked on the concepts of the library,
making them more explicit. We planned to republish it in June but, as
often, this was delayed somewhat. However, we're still enthousiastic and
hope to publish a new preview within a month.

You might consider to look at our work to see if it is worth to merge
with us, if it is valuable for you as a source of inspiration or if it
is worth to join us. It's actually open source already and still
intended to be submitted as a Boost library. Also, note that there is a
Google Summer of Code project mentored by Boost which is based on this
library.

Best regards,
Barend Gehrels, Geodan, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Bruno Lalande, France