Subject: Re: [boost] [Windows developers] Linux virtual machine for Boost developers
From: Ryan Gallagher (ryan.gallagher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-26 19:15:47

Emil Dotchevski <emil <at> revergestudios.com> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:17 PM, David Abrahams <dave <at> boostpro.com>
> wrote:
> > For multicore VMs, you can get VMWare Server free from
> > http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
> >
> > As the industry's leading VM technology, you can expect support for most
> > of the same things that VirtualBox supports. Snapshots, for sure.
>
> I used to have VMWare but I find VirtualBox easier to use; overall it
> feels simpler and lighter.

(Okay, I'm a little biased on this...so I'll try to stick to the free
products ;-)

As Dave points out, VMware Server is free and works well, but if you
just want to run a VM and want something really light try VMware Player.

http://vmware.com/products/player/

It also supports 2-way SMP, and includes "Unity" view so that you can just
have your Linux apps appear to be running on your Windows desktop.
It's nice for development. If you want to create new VM's, though, you'll
want to use VMware server (or Converter to P2V a machine or backup-image,
which is built into Player.)

> Also, maybe they've fixed this but the last time I tried VMWare, it
> would annoyingly restrain the mouse within the boundaries of the
> virtual machine window and would require you to hit a keyboard key to
> free it.
<snip>

Yeah, as Dave mentions in another message, you just need to install
VMware Tools. I'm not sure how you setup your system in VirtualBox but
if it did some sort of easy install for you then it probably installed
its own guest tools without you realizing it.

VMware has some great community forums in case you ever have any issues.

http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa

> Emil Dotchevski
> Reverge Studios, Inc.
> http://www.revergestudios.com/reblog/index.php?n=ReCode