Subject: Re: [boost] [threadpool] work-stealing support
From: k-oli_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-09-29 07:01:10

Am Montag, 29. September 2008 12:32:11 schrieb vicente.botet:
> > Hello,
> > I've the work-stealing strategy ready - I'd like to know if it is desired
> > remove lazy and adaptive strategy from the lib (as Vicente Botet and
> > Johan Torp mentioned)? So only fixed an work-stealing will be supported?!
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> It is a very good new that you have incorporated work-stealing in your
> library. Can we get the current state somewhere?
>
> In my opinion neither the lazy nor the adaptive should be very useful, so
> from my side you can remove them. This will simplify your library.
>
> Thanks for incoporating work-stealing, it is a major feature for me.
>
> Vicente

Hello Vicente,
thanks for your response - I'll remove lazy and adaptive strategy and release
the new version in the boost vault soon.
Please note that the work-stealing is not fork-join as you requested in some
of your previous emails (so please don't be disapointed).
For fork-join two possible strategies are possible - one like in JAVA (from
Doug Lea) which blocks in pool::submit() until the main task and its
sub-tasks are finished - the other solution would require stack switching as
it is provided by the coroutines lib in the vault.
I would prefere the stack switching solution but it seams to become a complex
implementation.
regards,
Oliver