Subject: Re: [boost] Geometry and spatial indexes, my opinion
From: Patrick Mihelich (patrick.mihelich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-08 18:17:50

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Jonathan Franklin <
franklin.jonathan_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I very much need this for the generic DM/KDD algorithms that I am working
> on. We started work on a clustering algorithms library at boostcon this
> year, and support for n-dimensional spatial indexes/queries is still needed
> to improve the performance of some of the algorithms.
>
> WRT the clustering library, I dropped the ball over the summer when things
> heated up at work and school, but will be picking it up again Real Soon
> Now. If you have any interest in clustering or classification algorithms,
> then please contact me! </shameless_plug>.

This is very interesting, and relevant to my current work. I would love to
see a nice generic clustering library in Boost. I can't promise much help at
this point (I also have a project I've been meaning to pick up again Real
Soon Now :-) but let me know when you start working on it again.

Clustering and spatial indexes have some close connections - as you say,
spatial indexes can be used to improve the performance of some clustering
algorithms. Likewise, clustering is sometimes used to construct spatial
indexes (agglomerative clustering, hierarchical k-means). So, it would be
nice for the libraries to play nicely with each other... but more important
to get the core functionality in place first, of course.

Cheers,
Patrick