Subject: Re: [boost] 1.37 release schedule?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-09 16:32:13

Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
>

>> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>
>>> Aren't trunk tests supposed to show if build and/or test are working
>>> fine?
>>
>> In my view, the trunk tests are meant to show that the libraries are
>> working fine.
>>
>> As far as I know, there are no tests which are focused on verifying
>> that the boost tools work fine.
>
> Boost.Test has it's own set of unit tests.

Hmmm - Tastes greate AND less filling.

Boost.Test is a boost library AND a boot tool so it gets tested by virtue of
its being
a library. This is such a good thing that it should be applied to tools as
well.

What I think would be valuable is

a) tools tests be run just as library tests are.
b) all tools and libraries be tested against the last current release.

The main tools I have in mind are boost.build and the documentation build

This would mean that when you made a change to boost test which turned
out to break something, it wouldn't ripple to the whole testing process.
The same argument would apply to boost build. Library testing and
building would rely on the lastest release read versions.

Robert Ramey