Subject: Re: [boost] boost.org Source-Code, Concepts & Idioms.
From: Jonas Persson (l.j.persson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-13 17:07:59

Steven Watanabe skrev:
> AMDG
>
> Jonas Persson wrote:
>> Steven Watanabe skrev:
>>>
>>> I don't think it is really feasible to maintain two versions of the
>>> code.
>>>

>> Do we really need to. Would it be possible to modify Wave to do a
>> selective preprocessing of the source?
>
> This could be quite a task if we want the output to be more readable that
> the input. For instance some macros should be expanded but others
> shouldn't be.
> (Do users really want to see the implementation of BOOST_TYPEOF?)

Suppose that it would be possible to declare which macros are to be
considered defined, which are undefined and which are still undecided.
Wave would use the information on defined or undefined macros and
resolve preprocessor directives using them, but leave undecided macros
untouched.
There could also be a option to prevent macros matching %pattern% to be
expanded.

Would that not be enough to allow for fine tuned generation of readable
workaround-free code (or preprocessing source for specific platforms)?

   / Jonas