Subject: Re: [boost] Support for Cell processor
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-14 02:40:34

Stefan Seefeld a écrit :
> While I very much agree with the goal of this proposal, I also believe
> that boost is, for the most part, unsuitable for serious SPU code. I
> have been writing Cell algorithms (mixed PPU and SPU) for the last
> year and a half, and code-size was a serious issue. While we have
> been using C++ on the SPU side, too, we were extremely careful
> not only not to use the standard library, but also about whether
> to use templates, and template instances.

Well I do the same and I never felt oppressed by the overhead of
template instanciation. I use MPL, Proto and function_traits all day
long in various DSEL for the Cell and never encountered such problems.

Mathias Gaunard a écrit :
> I would say it's linking against the standard library that is a problem
> or not. Ideally, a good compiler should also be able to remove unused
> symbols at link-time, making that a non-issue.

Yes sorry of course. Seems in fact that it's linking with iostream
that cause most of the problems. Concerning the quality of the compiler,
well ... I won't anything :s