Subject: Re: [boost] boost.org Source-Code, Concepts & Idioms.
From: Delroy, Tony (IED) (Tony.Delroy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-16 01:44:46

Your mail makes it sound like you want to look at gcc -E output, but of
course you'd find that much worse. An obvious issue is that while
sometimes macros obfuscate code, sometimes they simplify (e.g. as part
of the API of underlying code). What I imagine being of some potential
(though perhaps small) value is the notion of a fully
standards-compliant compiler (or perhaps an approximation such as
Comeau), for which conditional includes are processed, macros only
required to patch in hacks for non-Standard-compliant compilers have
their Standard substitution performed, but other macros are left alone.
I imagine differentiating macros on this basis would have to be done
manually, after which the processing could be done easily enough with a
bit of sed/awk/perl/Ruby/etc hackery. I don't see enough value in it to
override other demands on my time, but best of luck. - Tony