Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem]Extracting path as string from wpath
From: Johan Torp (johan.torp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-17 07:44:11

Johan Torp wrote:

> How do convert a boost::filesystem::wpath to a known encoding in the
> native filesystem's path representation?
>
> Specifically I want to convert a boost::filesystem::wpath to a third party
> string (CFString from Carbon). In order to do that I must know the
> encoding of wpath.string() or wpath.external_file_string() on Mac, which
> is "implementation defined".
>
> Interfacing boost::filesystem::wpath with 3rd party APIs seems like common
> problem.

After reading CFString's reference documentation the 11th time, I found the
CFStringCreateWithFileSystemRepresentation. It was hidden away at the bottom
of the page, far away from all other CFStringCreateWithXXX functions.
*mumble*, *mumble*...

I assume that wpath::external_file_string() returns a string containing
POSIX file system representation?

It would be nice to get some guarantees on what
wpath::external_file_system() returns for each supported platform. Thoughts?

Best Regards, Johan Torp