Subject: Re: [boost] Measuring compile time performance
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-17 10:29:28

on Fri Oct 17 2008, dan marsden <danmarsden-AT-yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We're looking at optimizing some of the compile time performance in
> Boost.Fusion. I'm looking for any experience in Boost of measuring
> build times / compile time cost, how to structure tests that cover it
> etc. Does Boost.Build provide any support for measuring compile time
> for example?

Actually it does. In fact, I added the facility that allows it to bjam
long ago. I think it might be visible in the XML output, but
I've forgotten more than I ever knew about bjam/BB, so you'd have to ask
someone else.

> I'm aware there's a Perl script by Steven Watanabe that measures
> template instantiations if I understand correctly. Are there any other
> techniques that are being used that I should be aware of?

It's pretty simple just to use

  time g++ ...whatever...

If you need to run windoze commands, you can just install cygwin and use
its implementation of time.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing