Subject: Re: [boost] Measuring compile time performance
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-17 19:00:59

AMDG

David Abrahams wrote:
>> Thanks Steven, that would be great. We'd certainly be interested
>> in trying what you've got on Fusions compile time performance
>> tests.
>>
>> Thanks to everyone else that provided ideas on this.
>>

> Remember that although the number of template instantiations is
> important, it doesn't necessarily have a linear relationship to compile
> times. I think measuring time is still important, and probably more
> important.

Absolutely. If we had a way to determine how much time was spent
instantiating each template, it would be more better. Unfortunately,
the time it takes to compile a whole translation unit is not very
useful for isolating specific templates to optimize. The time does provide
an excellent way to measure how much good any particular optimization
did--once we have an idea of what to try.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe