Subject: [boost] [filesystem] file monitoring
From: Carlos Rafael Giani (e0325834_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-23 08:45:20

Hi,

is a file monitor feature planned for boost.filesystem? I have been
looking for a platform independent solution, but there is none (except
in toolkits like Qt). Also, so far only inotify (a subsystem in the
Linux kernel) can tell me when a file is closed after writing, which is
absolutely necessary when watching a plugins/ directory, for example
(you don't want to touch the plugins when they're only halfway copied).
Several tools watch the plugin directory, but don't care if the plugins
are being written or are fully there already. This can lead to
instabilities.

I think it is only logical to add this to boost.filesystem, something
like set_monitor_callback(pathname, function_object);

any thoughts?