Subject: Re: [boost] [release management] Drop .gz and .zip release packaging?
From: Andreas Masur (amasur_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-23 08:48:52

On Oct 23, 2008, at 8:28 AM, John Maddock wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>> Boost releases are currently packaged four ways.
>
>>> The problem I see is that CR/NL users still download .zip files
>>> twice as often as .7z, and NL users still download about as many .gz
>>> packages as bz2.
>
> That seems to be a good argument against the change, while most
> Linux distro's have bz2, 7z has rather less machine penetration I
> suspect. I also believe that
> many commercial *nix distro's don't have bz2 support as standard?

I would like to second John here if I am allowed (being more or less
new to the list). I usually go with the .gz version on Windows as
well....although it would not matter as far as I know since there is
no built-in support for neither .gz nor bz2 anyway (I am using a
different explorer which has built-in capabilities for .zip/.gz)

However, I certainly understand the extra burden this puts on the
release manager.

Ciao, Andreas