Subject: Re: [boost] [filesystem] file monitoring
From: Andreas Masur (amasur_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-23 09:33:25

On Oct 23, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Giovanni Piero Deretta wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Carlos Rafael Giani
> <e0325834_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is a file monitor feature planned for boost.filesystem? I have been
>> looking
>> for a platform independent solution, but there is none (except in
>> toolkits
>> like Qt). Also, so far only inotify (a subsystem in the Linux
>> kernel) can
>> tell me when a file is closed after writing, which is absolutely
>> necessary
>> when watching a plugins/ directory, for example (you don't want to
>> touch the
>> plugins when they're only halfway copied). Several tools watch the
>> plugin
>> directory, but don't care if the plugins are being written or are
>> fully
>> there already. This can lead to instabilities.
>>
>> I think it is only logical to add this to boost.filesystem,
>> something like
>> set_monitor_callback(pathname, function_object);
>>

> On the contrary, I think that the logical place to add this is
> boost.asio. In fact it should be relatively easy to add there. I think
> someone already implemented it. You might want to ask in the Asio
> mailing list.

May I ask why? As far as I understand boost.asio, it deals with the I/
O of external systems (networking, serial etc.). A file monitoring
feature in my eyes rather deals with the filesystem.

I understand that there is already an extension to boost.asio
available....I am just trying to understand the rationale behind
adding it to that library....

Thank you very much.

Ciao, Andreas