Subject: [boost] [Timer] Inconsistent behaviour
From: Jordans, R. (r.jordans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-29 05:27:06
I was looking at Boost.Timer and I noticed that it shows different results when it's used in a threaded program on Windows or Unix machines. A closer inspection revealed that it uses clock() to do it's timings.
Digging a bit deeper I found that clock() is specified differently on Windows than it is in my Linux man-page. On windows it counts 'wall clock' time, basically what I'd expect from a class named timer but on Linux it counts CPU time. Thus it will give the result for completely different concepts of time elapsed depending on my system.
Two questions; 1) is there a good way to solve this, 2) if not, could it at least be noted in the documentation.
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk