Subject: Re: [boost] [1.37.0][date-time] Breaking the log jam
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 17:17:09

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Thu Oct 30 2008, "Beman Dawes" <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Hum... So are you going to manage a point-release? That would change my
>> thinking a bit.
>
> No, I'm not committing to doing that. However, as you, Doug Gregor, and
> I agreed in San Francisco, there should be a branch of every release
> available for checking in critical bugfixes, so a user can get the
> updates by checking out from svn. It's not a point release, but it's
> far better than a collection of hotfix patches. Anyone who wants to
> selectively revert (or apply) fixes in the point release branch can do
> so easily with svn.

It's a shame to admit, but I think we missed the 1.37 train with these
updates. I doubt we'll manage to walk through the full procedure of
merging into the release branch until the release. So, IMHO, the best
choice we have now is what David suggests.

However, I'm still concerned about the point release branch status.
IIUC, it is not tested regularly and can theoretically be broken. I'm
also aware that some organizations don't fully trust software checked
out from SVN just as they do trust official releases. So point releases
are still wanted.

Anyway, I will be fine with either decision, if it results in fixing
those problems in DateTime.

PS: Are there any pointers on the web page that will guide users how to
obtain hotfixes and to checkout the point release branch for each
release? I can only see general note on using SVN in the downloads section.