Subject: Re: [boost] location for PDF docs?
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-03 14:19:27

John Maddock wrote:
> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> I can't remember if we ever settled on a location for PDF
>>> documentation.
>>> Did we?
>
> I don't think we did no.
>
>>> And should we make it official by linking to it from
>>> boost.org?
>
> Yes please!
>
>>> FWIW, I've uploaded a PDF version of Proto's docs to:
>>> http://www.boostpro.com/vault/index.php?directory=PDF%20Documentation
>>>
>>> Aside: Proto's reference section for 1.37 is /much/ improved.
>
> For now, I have quite a few PDF docs in the PDF directory of the sandbox
> (the max file size of the vault is too limiting for the larger libs docs).

I also ran into this limitation, and had to compress Proto's PDF before
I could upload it. PDFs appear to compress well (~50%) but we clearly
need a better solution.

I can think of two logical places to put the PDFs:
   - A dedicated location under www.boost.org/doc
   - Alongside the release tarballs on sourceforge.

The problem with both of these locations is that average boost
developers do not have upload access. We can make it part of the release
procedure that developers can optionally provide the release manager
with PDFs, but this is one more thing for developers to forget to do,
and more work for the release manager.

Maybe both locations should have a link to documentation in alternate
formats, and the docs can actually be hosted someplace else. A logical
place would be http://boost.sf.net/doc -- any boost developer can upload
a file there. (I notice there's some old cruft at that location that we
should clean up.)

Thoughts?

--
Eric Niebler