Subject: Re: [boost] location for PDF docs?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-05 06:33:50

> Will that work. Say, in Boost.Build case, "main target" is used
> everywhere, so adding all locations
> to the index won't work very well. Often, the phrase to appear in the
> index is not exactly the
> phrase present in the text. And while usually, a term should be defined on
> the first use, it could
> be that the first definition is brief, and the accurate definition is
> present later. Boost.Build
> index is bit lean presently, and I'd love to have some automated tool, but
> I'm not sure
> how they could work.

Well.... off the top of my head... and this probably wouldn't work for the
Boost.Build docs, but for a library one could:

* For each class, function or macro name:
   - if the name appears in a section title add a primary entry.
   - if the name appears in the body text add a secondary entry.
* Optionally include any other terms that are manually specified.
* Optionally exclude any other terms that are manually specified.

I guess we could even scan headers for a list of possible terms to include?

But this would require an extra processing step in the toolchain (to insert
the terms into the Docbook XML), how hard would that be to add?

John.