Subject: Re: [boost] location for PDF docs?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-06 13:31:31

Paul A Bristow wrote:
>>> Do you mean copy the code that currently handles Author and
>>> Title, to handle Subject and Keywords?
>>
>> Yes. Though I have to confess I haven't checked if or how the tools
>> downstream will deal with it :-( Time to FTFM perhaps?

FO XML itself has no ability to encode document info, but XEP supports some
extensions which allow Docbook meta-info to propagate to the PDF: and yes
the subject and keyword fields are propagated as you would expect. Note
however that while keywords are a simple word list, subjects are quite a
complex hierachy of words and phrases in Docbook.

>>> <isbn> is deprecated in favour of <biblioid>.
>>
>> Ok fine - I'm way out of date :-)
>>
>> I would like to see the full document id in small font at the
>> bottom of every page of the document, but I haven't researched how
>> to do that either yet.

We would have to customise the XSL stylesheets I suspect :-(

>> I also note that the Document properties (File, Properties) shows
>> the pdf creation date - this is some help in checking version date,
>> though not our ideal of the date of last .qbk file edit. This
>> should probably be close to the date of the html file generation.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> PS Disappointingly :-((
>>
>> I also note that trying to digital sign the math toolkit pdf it
>> reports
>>
>> "This document is PDF/SigQ compliant.
>>
>> 4002 PDF contect contains errors
>>
>> Malformed drawing instructions: Syntax error. Page content violates
>> the grammar for page content definition. For example, the
>> instruction might specify drawing a square but the syntax for doing
>> it is incorrect.
>>
>> 1000 The document contains hidden actions that may not be intended
>> or known by the end user. Actions include JavaScript actions
>> (document open, save, etc.), playing multimedia, executing a menu
>> item, etc.
>>
>> 1002 The document contains comments. Comments' visual appearances
>> may change based on external variables.
>>
>> 1008 Disallowed action type: URI. The document contains hidden
>> actions that may not be intended or known by the end user. Actions
>> include JavaScript actions (document open, save, etc.), playing
>> multimedia, executing a menu item, etc.
>>
>> "
>>
>> but I doubt if we should worry?

Well, since we have no control over the generation process, there's not much
we can do about it anyway!

It is very disappointing though :-(

John.