Subject: Re: [boost] [1.37.0] boost test crashes under cygwin gcc-4.x
From: Mat Marcus (mat-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-06 15:11:31

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Thorsten Ottosen
<thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Mat Marcus skrev:
>>
>> When I run a simple test application with a single (empty)
>> BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE, boost test causes a crash under cygwin using
>> gcc-4.x. It also crashes for non-empty auto test cases. For example,
>> the boost test regressions crash:
>>

> Just oout of curiosity, where did you get gcc 4.x for cygwin?

Note that I don't find it all that useful since it seems to be
compiled without posix thread support. So, in general I compile my own
gcc (or concept-gcc). But I mentioned the cygwin gcc here since it
will make the issue easier to reproduce.

Hearing no reply from the test lib authors, I did a bit more research.
It seems that if I manually register my test cases instead of using
BOOST_AUTO_TEST_CASE the crashes in my tests disappear. From this I
conclude that the issue lies in the additional test case destruction
machinery that comes into play when the macro is used. I am rewriting
my code to avoid the macro now. Though more verbose, debugging is
clearer, the code is more readable, and it doesn't crash anymore. I
would be interested to learn what's going wrong though.

 - Mat