Subject: Re: [boost] [spirit] Where is SPIRIT_VERSION?
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-12 03:07:31

Robert Ramey wrote:
> In the new headers for spirit - I only find SPIRIT_VERSION in some "classic"
> file.
>
> Basically I would like to compile something conditionally on SPIRIT_VERSION.

For classic Spirit, then it is: spirit/include/classic_version.hpp

For spirit2, there is none yet. And I'm not sure if we still need
one. Historically, Spirit had its own release cycle. Now that Boost
has a faster cycle, I am considering simply syncing to Boost's
releases.

Tell me if you still think we need one.

> Another point:
>
> Wouldn't it have made a lot more sense just to make a new directory and
> namespace "spirit2" and avoid the the convolution that occurs now
> and the associated warning.

We considered that approach. IMO, it's not the right thing to do.
I can't imagine a Boost world where each new significant library
version were to have its own directory inside Boost. That would be
chaos. At least our "convoluted" scheme is will persist for the
deprecation duration only.

> The warning doesn't work for all compilers.

Indeed. But at least for the major compilers, it does.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com