Subject: Re: [boost] A design for geometric objects
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-15 18:57:48

Simonson, Lucanus J wrote:

> Clearly if a rectangle output is expected you cannot pass it a mutable square to hold the result, but making such syntax illegal by preventing the generic API from modifying objects seems like a drastic measure. It eliminates more than half the utility of the mechanism.

I require any type fulfilling a concept to be constructible from an
object of any type which fulfills that same concept.
So I can simply return any object, which will then be copied into the
structure of the user.
If the object is light and the compiler is good, there shouldn't be any
penalty.

I personally strongly dislike the idea of providing output as arguments,
so I suppose I'm quite biased on that limitation.