Subject: Re: [boost] which Operating Systems should be supported?
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-17 10:54:17

Oliver Kowalke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know which operating systems should be take into account if a new library gets
> contributed? Should only the newest version of the os be considered (I think not - at least on
> Windows).

>From http://www.boost.org/development/requirements.html#Portability :

        A library's implementation must if possible be portable and not
        restricted to a particular compiler or operating system. If a portable
        implementation is not possible, non-portable constructions are acceptable
        if reasonably easy to port to other environments, and implementations are
        provided for at least two popular operating systems (such as UNIX and Windows).

> - Windows
> - Linux (kernel version + glibc version)

Usually, kernel version does not matter, nor does glibc version matter much. It's
gcc version that matter, 4.2 or 4.3 are most relevant these days.

- Volodya