Subject: Re: [boost] Breaking existing libraries
From: Tomas Puverle (Tomas.Puverle_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-21 13:52:58

Hello Dave,

> Naturally, nobody likes to be asked to fix the problem they're
> complaining about. Such is the open-source world, I'm afraid.

The question is whether "fix the problem" means the Boost.Range issue or the
overarching problem of breaking changes. While the latter is something we could
fix going forward, my current problem is with Boost.Range. So my post has two
reasons:
1) Try to get a consensus whether the Boost.Range problem is actually a defect
and should be rolled back
2) How to avoid such things in the future

I am sure you understand I can't just waltz into the SVN repository and change
Thorsten's code. However, I feel that if we could participate in a reasoned
discussion and decide on the pros and cons of the change we may be able to come
up with something that would resolve the problem going forward and perhaps find
a transition path. Finding the best way to fix that problem is my priority, as
this is currently a complete blocker on my project.

My original post has also shown that there are quite a few people who feel
similarly to me about such changes. Perhaps at this point it would be wise to
break this thread into one about Boost.Range and another about boost
development, even though I feel that they are very closely tied together, as the
outcome of the Range discussion may or may not set a precedent for the latter.

> > It's a politician's answer, in that it doesn't really answer my
> > original query.
>
> Umm. Trying not to be insulted, here.

My apologies - I only used this as a figure of speech, with no intention to
question your integrity. :)

> Your original query was not a "query" at all. You asked no questions.
> There was a list of (valid) complaints.

My intention was to start a discussion.

> The only actionable item I saw
> there (which you snipped out of the context of my quote)

No intention to misrepresent.

> was the
> expression of a laudable desire "to try to make sure this kind of silent
> breakage doesn’t happen again," and *that* is what I responded to.

And that was a speakers way of beginning a discussion. I was only
(respectfully) addressing an audience.

> Of course, you also have some power to control the quality of Boost
> developers, by participating in the review process.

No, we would purely have input into the initial quality of the reviewed library.
 While this will have a high correlation with the submitters knowledge of C++
and their problem domain, it doesn't allow us to evaluate whether or not they
have the experience in large scale software development and the foresight not to
make changes which will break existing code.

However, I also accept your point about more participation. My colleagues and I
have at points been involved with library reviews and discussions. One of the
reasons for the lack of participation (beyond shifting job responsibilities) is
how far the head of boost is removed from the "stable" versions we use. It is
hard to get excited or find the time get involved with something that has no
immediate benefit and may not be available to us for another few years. In this
respect, I think the idea of "stable" and "new" boost libraries would help in
this respect.

> > However, it seems that once a library is accepted, the maintainer is
> > pretty much free to do what they please.
>
> Yes.

I hope behind this simple "Yes" there are alarm bells going off.

> > I think it may be wise to apply the same level of rigour to the
> > continued development. Do you think that a boost library that was
> > broken should be rolled back?
>
> Quite possibly. Depends what you mean by "broken" and "rolled back."

For the sake of example, let's stay with the Boost.Range library.
By "broken" I mean that the behaviour has changed drastically from one release
to the next (not to mention the debug/release issue). IMHO, it has also
"broken" the notion of what an empty range is. Steven Watanabe tried suggesting
a workaround, which was broken in an insidious way. This in no way is a
reflection on him, but on the fact that the behaviour of the library is
unintuitive and leads to code with undefined behaviour. That's what I mean by
"broken".

By "rolled back" I mean that the original behaviour should be reinstated either
in a patch or the next release, with either an alternative name for the new
concept, a migration path, or both.

> I've got some bad news for you, Tom: you're "within."

This isn't bad news - I like using boost and would like contribute more if my
employer allowed it. (Having said that, I've made a few very minor additions)

> Boost library authors generally highly value the input of their
> users, and are eager to learn.

Yes, this in general is the case. However, you can't deny that that people who
critique your creation will frequently put you on the defensive. I am just as
guilty of this behaviour as the developer next to me.

> You may think you're being asked to set Boost policy on your own, but
> that's not how it works. Boost is driven largely by consensus. We'll
> discuss and tweak the document together in this forum until we can
> arrive at a consensus that it should be adopted.

In which case it's a shame that the Boost.Range changes just happened and were
never discussed here. Again, please take this for what it is: A point made by
an external observer.

> > The difficulty of rebuilding all of the internal systems just makes
> > this impractical. As you are aware, a lot of people avoid the .0
> > releases. What does this say to you?
>
> It says they are cautious. Cautious people often have that as a blanket
> policy; not just with Boost. What does it say to you?

It says to me that they've been burnt a few times and are not going to risk
their neck again. At the end of the day, I think most people in this industry
love what they do and love new toys: Boost is one of them. If we could come up
with a way to prevent the toy from occasionally spontaneously bursting into
flames, it would be much easier to sell to the parents (forgive the metaphor).

> I think you mean the opposite.

Sorry, fat fingers.

> I know; it's a problem. If you still want to try to prevent this sort
> of thing in the future, I suggest you take up my earlier encouragement
> to write up a policy page.

Before writing such a recommendation, let's have a discussion first about the
proposal for the altered release schedule, which would have dramatic impact on
the contents of the document.

Best wishes,

Tom