Subject: [boost] [interprocess] A little gentle criticism
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-21 21:49:56

First of all I really appreciate the interprocess Boost library for its
rich set of synchronization primitives and shared memory techniques.

Now to my gentle ( maybe not so gentle ) criticism. What was the reason
for using C-style null-terminated strings in much of the functionality
rather than std::basic_string ? Isn't it about time, in the advanced C++
libraries of today, that we should wean ourselves aay from C-isms, which
no C++ programmer, unles on pain of supporting hopelessly legacy style
code, has not used in years and years ? To see constructors taking
C-style strings rather than std::basic_string in a modern C++ library
like interprocess is a real psychological disappointment. At the very,
very least, the author of the library should have also provided the
equivalent functionality with std::basic_string.

Please Boost developers, C++ programmers deserve not to deal with
C-style strings anymore. Personally I do not think anything new coming
out of the C++, including the C++ standard committee, should have any
functionality taking a 'const charType *' from now to to the end of C++
eternity <g>.

Other than the above I really enjoy using interprocess and say bravo to
the author of the library for a well thought out implementation. But how
this C-ism got by the reviewers I will never know.