Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] Maintenace Guidelines wiki page
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-22 17:28:56

vicente.botet wrote:
> [...]

Well that's my view. But my point is that its not as widely shared
as it I would hope.

> I really think that *we can* achieve this goal.

I would say 'we COULD' achieve this goal - if there was a
true desire to do so.

>> Your "Maintainence Guidlines" presume a consensus
>> about what should be acceptable practice where no
>> such consensus actually exists.
>
> Which acceptable practice are you referring to for which there is no
> consensus?

My view is that it is good practice to consider
breaking an interface should be considered a bug.

The responses to the posting cited above, indicate
to me that there is no consensus to support
this view point.

>> As a practical matter what do I do.

<snip> ...

> I hope that you are not proposing that to the end users. Are you?

I am.

Because they really have no other choice.

 It's not that I choose to do this, its that I feel I have no other choice.
I have projects out in the field which are in use after more than a decade.
 If I didn't do this, I would be spending all my time just keeping
things running and I can't do that.

> Please could you participate in the elaboration of this guidelines,

Basically, the guidelines are fine

The guidelines for authors should be separated from those
for users.

For users, "don't use "using" " could be part of a larger list
of suggestions for getting the most benefit from the libraries.

As I said, a laudable effort, I hope it helps.

Robert Ramey

> your opinion is very important to the Boost community.
LOL