Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] Maintenace Guidelines wiki page
From: Daniel Walker (daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-23 16:52:14

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:20 PM, vicente.botet <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...]

I'm speaking of the formal review for library acceptance.

> The goal of a review been to ensure quality., you don't think that every major evolution of a Boost library should have its own mini-review?

That's a good question, and I really don't know the answer. Others
know the history better than me, but I feel like when Boost started
most libraries were already fairly mature at the time they were
submitted for review; if they weren't they were rejected. After
acceptance, must libraries were fairly stable, so existing practice
evolved around boost and many of those early libraries are now in the
ISO draft standard.

But it's good to have major evolutionary changes, now and then.
Boost.Iterator went through a major rewrite, Boost.Lambda is about to
go through the same... But my impression is that the major changes
should be rare, an exception that proves the rule, and should be
handled as a special case.

Daniel Walker