Subject: Re: [boost] Breaking existing libraries
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-23 17:58:31

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thorsten Ottosen" <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 11:50 PM

> Dave Handley skrev:
>>>
>>> I have looked it up, and its not documented. Period.
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I don't intentionally try
>>> to break people's code, and I have put an enourmous effort into the
>>> code I've submitted to boost.
>>>
>>> FWIW, boost.range is not changing anymore.
>>
>> Unfortunately, you've already broken my confidence - unless of course,
>> we can come up with a decent compromise on this which seems further away
>> by the hour.
>
> If the compromise does not include going back to the old behavior for
> boost::iterator_range, then I'm open to suggestions (If we did that, how
> would we explain that situation to all those that want the current
> behavior?).

Some one has already proposed boost::old_iterator_range and if I remember well you have proposed boost::deprecated::iterator_range.

"I guess The old behavior could be supplied in
<boost/range/deprecated/iterator_range.hpp> in namespace
boost::deprecated. Again, it is a matter of time."

Is this a good compromise for all?

Vicente