Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] Maintenace Guidelines wiki page
From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-25 01:57:09

Daniel Walker wrote:

> In general, no, but in this specific instance, yes. At least, the
> Range concept definitions in the initial release immediately following
> the formal review are richer and more useful, IMHO, than the
> definitions available in the current release.

   I spent some time with the archives this evening, and I find that
there are dozens of emails from 2005, 2006, and 2007 talking about
problems with the concept definitions and documentation in the original
version of the range library. I also found a couple of different threads
where Thorsten requested advice on potential changes to the library, and
where he announced breaking changes to the library as a result of those
conversations.

   This does not include finding any statements about changing the
behavior of is_singular(), but those changes may have been made when he
was making other, announced breaking changes. (I would have to study the
check in information to find this out, and I haven't this evening.)

   So, though you may have preferred the old concepts, others thought
them fatally flawed (and I find their arguments persuasive).

   This is not to say that I think the changes that started this thread
were made properly. I can find no discussion on the developer list or
note in the documentation about the changes happening, and I think that
is a minimal standard for breaking changes. However, they may have been
part of a redesign that was precipitated by conversations on the
developer list, and other parts of that work were announced and
discussed on the list. This would imply that Thorsten was closer to an
acceptable process than he is currently getting credit for.

                        John