Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] UUID library (mini-)review starts today, November 23rd
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-25 04:36:44

On
> Behalf Of Andy Tompkins
> Sent: 25 November 2008 01:59
> To: boost_dev
> Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] UUID library (mini-)review starts today,
November 23rd

> I'll fix this. (How do others spell check html?)

Well if you write in Quickbook, you can use your regular spell checker - I
use Textpad for example.
(It also produces hyperlinked pdfs - and should include automatic indexing
soon).

But of course it produces lots of false alarms :-(

(But don't redo the docs just for this).

> > Is there a reason why create does not also take a std::string (with
> > default
> > length .size() as parameter?)
> > // Static functions
> > static uuid create(uuid const& namespace_uuid, char const* name, int
> > name_length);
> >
> > I assumed it would exist and was surprised when it didn't.
> >
> > (Should the name_length have a default value? C-string size - 1?)
>
> I don't have a preference. The create function was done this way so
> that it could take a block of memory and not just strings, but thinking
> about it now, void* would be better for this. It does not sound like
> this is useful and I should just have the function take a
> std::basic_string. I've also considered changing this to a function
> object similar to basic_uuid_generator instead of a static function.
> What do people want?

Are these mutually exclusive? I don't have a strong view - I'm just
reported what I assumed.
(But then assumption is the mother of all foul-ups ;-)

> > I also believe that a really basic example would be useful. This helps
> > novices.

> With your permission, I'll include your example.

Of course - see licence ;-)

You should (be able to) remove the #defines if you sort out the details
below.

And other usages would be useful - For example, creating unique filenames...
Examples are often more useful than manuals.

> I will suppress these warnings as in your example.
Good.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow