Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost.Range broken?
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-25 12:35:13

> > No! Definitely no. As I understand it, those debug checks are kind of
> > playing the role of axiomatic preconditions in debug mode, so they're
> > actually reinforcing the correct behavior. I think.
> >

> Yes! Definately yes ;-) The checks have all manner of false-positives. They
> aren't axiomatic preconditions that should apply for all or even most
> iterator types used with iterator_range. The iterator_range simply cannot
> reliably determine if the iterator is invalid due to it being singular.
> Singularity is a property of iterators. If singulairity requires
> additional
> debugging infrastructure it should be added to a debugging iterator
> framework. It's far too restricting upon the typical and valid usages of
> iterator_range.

Okay, okay :) I agree... Ideally, there should be no checks in the
iterator_range. They should be pushed out to a different framework. I was
just thinking that it would cause some kind of apoplectic reaction if all of
the singularity checks disappeared overnight.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]