Subject: Re: [boost] [Thread] Win32 exception handling
From: Kim Barrett (kab.conundrums_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-26 01:40:12

At 2:59 PM -0500 11/25/08, David Abrahams wrote:
>OK, great, a second data point. How do you feel about the fact that the
>upcoming standard requires the catch(...)?

It's back?!

There was a discussion on this list in August 2005 on the pros and cons
of the existence of the try/catch(...) in thread_proxy(), which seemed
to end with a pretty clear consensus that it should be removed, and there
was a bug report filed to do so: 1274707. (That's probably in some old
bug tracking system, not the current boost trac.) The rationale was
basically what's been brought up in the recent messages: better debugging
is generally available on at least some common platforms if there isn't
such a try/catch(...) handler. That try/catch was removed by Peter Dimov
in early July 2006. It seems to have returned though, which I think is
unfortunate.

It might be that a native (integrated with the compiler, or otherwise
using non-portable mechanisms) could provide the terminate behavior
required by the current draft standard while still providing a good
debugging experience, where a more or less portable thread library
such as boost.thread really can't. If that's the case, my vote would
be for boost.thread to be non-conforming in this specific area.