Subject: Re: [boost] Boost namespace abreviations
From: Joaquin M Lopez Munoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-27 17:02:27

edam-2 wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just wanted to hear the boost community's thoughts on abbreviating
> boost's namespaces.
> [...]
> I wondered if there would be any interest in a boost abbreviations
> header that, if included, would provide abbreviated names for boost's
> namespaces. Something along the lines of a boost/abrv.hpp:
>
> // this is an incomplete example
> namespace bst = boost;
> namespace boost {
> namespace gd = gregorian;
> namespace pt = posix_time;
> namespace dt = date_time;
> }
> [...]

I think that using namespace aliases is just fine, but only in
the context of a particular program, where you are in control
of possible name clashes. Providing a general purpose
abbreviation does not make sense precisely because names
are chosen that long to avoid clashes!! For instance, if you
google for "namespace bst":

http://tinyurl.com/595596

you get two uses of this namespace name for things other
than aliasing boost.

> What I'm proposing sounds terrible, I know, but if you consider that
> users would "opt-in" to this by including the abbreviations header
> (meaning it wouldn't affect existing users), I wondered if there would
> be any merit in it? I'm expecting a lot disapproval to this idea, but I
> thought I'd ask what people think anyway. Please don't shoot me down too
> much -- this is my first post to the boost mailing list! :o)

I hope you'll get by through this post :) Seriously, don't hesitate
to keep contributing to the list.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo