Subject: [boost] [review][constrained_value] Bounded value
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-03 08:46:17

This is not a full review of the constrained_value library but rather a
comment on one of the concepts of the library. I hope to give a full
review by December 10 if I have the time.

I believe the bounded objects are actually a subset of a larger concept,
which is the set of valid values for an object. Ideally what one could
have is a set of bounded values which define the valid values. Each
member of the set could be a pair ( or two-element tuple ) defining a
lower and upper value inclusive, and of course a single value in the set
would have its lower and upper value be the same. In this way one could
define, as an example, a constrained object whose integer value could be
between 0 and 20 and between 50 and 70. Currently the bounded object
concept only allows one "bounds". With the larger concept I mention, a
bounded object can have any number of bounds. While the single bounds
bounded object can still be supported, I would like to see the
constrained value library implement a multi-bound concept, in which case
the current bounded object concept is just a subset of the multi-bound
with a single bound.