Subject: Re: [boost] [Serialize] error 'unable to start program' with demo.cpp compiled in debug mode under msvc7.1
From: David Körner (dave130980_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-07 10:29:03

> > when I compile the demo.cpp from the boost.serialize tutorial in release mode everything works
> > fine. But when I compile it in debug mode the application wont start and the error 'unable to
> > start program' is displayed. It further says that the application has failed to start because the
> > configuration is incorrect.
>
> Please always provide the exact message. Not working in debug mode seems like a
> Vista-64-bit-specific bug in Microsoft tools, but it's hard to say without exact error.

Sorry for being inprecise. I use vs2005/vc++8.0 (not 7.1) under WindowsXP. The error message reads 'Unable to start program xxx. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Review the manifest file for possible errors. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. For more details please see the application event log.'

I just had a look at the manifest file:
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT" version="8.0.50608.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT" version="8.0.50727.762" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
</assembly>

And this is really weird since there are 2 dependencies of the same c-runtime but with different versions. When I compile it without any boost.serialization code, then there is only one dependency (the first one). So it seems that there is a dependency issue. Maybe the auto-link feature is not working correctly. Has somebody an idea how I could fix that?
Thanks in advance.

David

Wer erfand den Glückskeks? Kleiner Tipp: Die Chinesen waren es nicht! - Mehr auf msn.de
http://redirect.gimas.net/?n=M0812xMSNDE