Subject: Re: [boost] [review][constrained_value] Review of Constrained Value Library begins today
From: Thorsten Ottosen (thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-08 07:56:06

Robert Kawulak skrev:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> 2008/12/5 Thorsten Ottosen <thorsten.ottosen_at_[hidden]>:
>
>> It has been advocated in other context as well, e.g. by scott meyers. The
>> author of the bimap library was, initially, against it, citing some of the
>> same sources as you do. He ended up being very happy with the members IIRC.
>>
>> The discussion in [*] and other places is not great IMO.
>
> Apparently there are groups of people that prefer either of the
> approaches, but I wouldn't like the review to become an ideological
> discussion on general style guidelines like this one.

Well, sometimes that is needed too.

>> template <typename V, typename C, typename E, typename T>
>> void change_constraint(constrained<V, C, E> & c, const T & new_constraint)
>> {
>> constrained<V, C, E> tmp(c.value(), new_constraint, c.error_handler());
>> c.swap(tmp);
>> }
>>
>> this seems *very inefficient* compared to only changing the constraint.
>
> You can't simply change the constraint if the current value does not
> conform to it.You have to check that and eventually copy the value and
> the constraint, call the error policy for them and assign them back.
> In most common cases this seems not much more efficient than copying
> the whole object and swapping it (considering the typical case when
> one or both of the policies are empty or have trivial copy).
>
> Having said that, I agree with you at this point -- implementing
> change_constraint as a member might allow for more efficient
> implementation for some cases. This is an argument that might convince
> me to make it a member and I will investigate this possibility.

It seems to me that it must be possible to check the new constraint
without creating a new object.

Often T is int or some other small build-in type, but I guess someone
might use the library with a more heavy type.

> But in
> general I still prefer writing non-members if there's no apparent
> reason why not to do so.
>
>> (b) The second claim is that free-standing functions break apart monolothic
>> classes. That may be, but you don't have a monolothic class (you're not even
>> close).
>
> So how many functions that are unnecessarily members of a class must
> the class have to call it monolithic and to un-member those functions?
> :P

The classical example is std::string which is also what Sutter and
Alexandrescu give as an example. But here the problem is that
std::string are reimplementing generic algorithms.

You don't have a monolithic class. Just like std::vector is not
monolithic because erase is a member and not a free-standing function.
This is another issue: functions that change the invariant-defining
state of objects should be members.

>> And then finally my point, that the boost namespace is poluted with names
>> that makes it near impossible to find the right function, and so, by making
>> it a member that task is trivial.
>
> Note that this function is in constrained_value namespace and does not
> pollute boost namespace.

Ok.

> It is not that hard to find it, your editor
> may also help when you type '::' (although I agree that typing an
> object's name and '.' may be slightly more convenient).
>
>> In conclusion: making something a non-member is rarely a good idea.
>
> In contrast: making everything a member is rarely a good idea. ;-)

Not when your modifying state, nor when you want to make the interface
most easy to use.

I'll give a good example of when a member should not have been added.
Again, let's look at the (new) C++ standard library: they have added
cbegin() and cend() members to all containers such that one can get
a const_iterator from a mutable object. Instead, two generic function
templates could have provided the same functionality with an O(1) coding
effort vs. the chosen O(n) coding effort.

-Thorsten