Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-announce] [review][constrained_value] Review of Constrained Value Library begins today
From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-09 16:21:57

On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:59 AM, Jeff Garland wrote:

> The review of the Robert Kawulak's Constrained Value library begins
> today December 1, 2008, and will end on December 10th -- I will be
> the review manager. Please post reviews to the developer list.
>
> Here's the library synopsis:
>
> The Boost Constrained Value library contains class templates useful
> for creating constrained objects. A simple example is an object
> representing an hour of a day, for which only integers from the
> range [0, 23] are valid values.
>
> bounded_int<int, 0, 23>::type hour;
> hour = 20; // OK
> hour = 26; // exception!
>
> Behavior in case of assignment of an invalid value can be
> customized. The library has a policy-based design to allow for
> flexibility in defining constraints and behavior in case of
> assignment of invalid values. Policies may be configured at compile-
> time for maximum efficiency or may be changeable at runtime if such
> dynamic functionality is needed.
>
> The library can be downloaded from the here:
> http://rk.go.pl/f/constrained_value.zip
>
> The documentation is also available online here:
> http://rk.go.pl/r/constrained_value

> Please state in your review, whether you think the library should be
> accepted as a Boost library. Additionally, please consider the
> following aspects in your review of the library:

Yes, please accept it.

> - What is your evaluation of the design?

It's OK.

Fine. I liked the attempts to minimize extra space per object. I
didn't like that there were neither tests nor conventional examples.
The file where the Quickbook docs took its code examples was the only
*.cpp file provided. Fortunately, it's (intentionally) compilable.

It's extensive, both the usage (Quickbook) and code (Doxygen) guides.

On the usage guide, I don't think the tutorial's "ignore" type does
what you think it does.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

I find restrained types to be useful.

> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you
> have any
> problems?

Yes, with Mac OS X 10.4 (PowerPC) using XCode. No problems.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
> reading? In-depth study?

A day of reading and trying out the examples.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Somewhat

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie