Subject: Re: [boost] Single letter template type causes errors in compile of program_options and filesystem boost libraries
From: OvermindDL1 (overminddl1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-18 18:15:12

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:02 PM, John Phillips
<phillips_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> OvermindDL1 wrote:
>

>> And here is the Boost.MPL page of exactly that kind of example; it
>> would give them their self-documentation, as well as being typesafe,
>> as well as helping to make sure the programmer cannot screw up and
>> start multiplying things together that they should not do and so forth
>> (would throw a compile error, you know, instead of their internal
>> logic silently breaking down):
>>
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_37_0/libs/mpl/doc/tutorial/dimensional-analysis.html
>

> If he wants to include units, he could avoid writing his own using MPL, and
> instead use the already existing boost units library.

...I never noticed that there before. When I update it is usually
only because of a library or two, and I had been using an MPL
homegrown version in one of my apps since boost 1.34. I may have to
convert some of my code to Boost.Units if it support multi-dimensional
positions, could remove a few rather large headers that way...

I was not saying he should use it (I doubt that the library headers
would change it anyway), I was just using it as an example of a proper
way to signify types, rather then using empty macros that can conflict
with a huge amount of code, thus showing that what Boost is doing is
correct, and what that header is doing is horribly wrong.