Subject: Re: [boost] [boost.build] should we not define _SECURE_SCL=0 bydefault for all msvc toolsets
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-20 17:00:46

on Fri Dec 19 2008, "Emil Dotchevski" <emildotchevski-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:34 PM, <raindog_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> The checks are however a huge performance hit that people tend to be caught by
> surprise with.
>
> Not my experience. The checks do affect performance, but rarely enough
> to get on my radar. I do like having them on by default.

They are without a doubt extremely useful for catching mistakes, but
having them on in released code is absolutely antithetical to the design
principles of the STL and of generic programming in general, which
strives to raise components to the highest level of abstraction
**without loss of efficiency**. If I understand correctly, it also
causes the library not to meed the standard's performance requirements.

Anyway, I agree that we must make it easy, if not the default, to
install libraries compatible with the MS default ABI.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing