Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a Boost.JSON library?
From: Kirit Sælensminde (kirit.saelensminde_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-21 05:49:05

Boris wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:51:37 +0100, Kirit Sælensminde
> <kirit.saelensminde_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> As part of our web application framework (currently being ported from
>> Windows to Linux) we have a JSON parser and library that might be of
>> interest to a wider community as part of the Boost libraries.
>
> The JSON file format is supported by the Boost.PropertyTree library (see
> property_tree_rev5.zip at http://www.boostpro.com/vault/). While I use
> this library for quite some time I don't remember anymore if it has
> already been accepted or if it's still waiting for a review to be accepted.

Judging by the documentation[1] the parser seems to target a different
use case. Mine includes a full JSON object, rather than the only
partially compatible property tree -- for example, mine won't lose null,
  true or false type information (so can write back out the exact
equivalent JSON after it has been parsed).

I didn't see anything for how the Boost.PropertyTree implementation
dealt with Unicode either -- I guess it just makes use of narrow
characters, but I couldn't check as the implementation isn't there. Mine
has a Spirit based parser which makes the parser itself usable directly
in other parsers much more easily.

The Boost.PropertyTree implementation is probably fine for the use that
Boost.PropertyTree has, but it means that it doesn't really cover lots
of use cases where you actually need to process JSON.

[1] http://kaalus.atspace.com/ptree/doc/index.html#json_parser