Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a Boost.JSON library?
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-21 23:01:47

Kirit Sælensminde wrote:

>> I did not make mine to be a 'real' library though, as stated, just an
>> example code, but I did try to make it as accurate to the spec as I
>> saw.
>>
>> As soon as karma is finished for Spirit2x I was planning to make a
>> writer for my Value object as well, both as a condensed (efficient)
>> printer and a pretty printer.
>
> I have a pretty printer, which I'm not unhappy with, but also think it
> would be better in some ways to be able to separate out better the
> pretty printing strategy from the structure walking.
>
>> As for comments, in my version it would be simple to change, the
>> whitespace skipping parser could easily be extended to catch other
>> things, such as comments, which would always be saved out. As stated,
>> was just making it as an example of the magic of Spirit2x.
>
> I'm not sure that I can see where the comments would be stored in my
> structure so that it made any sense. To have the parser skip them as
> whitespace is certainly doable. For that I guess the JavaScript grammar
> is the place to look for a specification.

I suggest porting the parser to Spirit2. It is so much faster and
flexible. Attribute handling of recursive types is built-in. Your
grammars will be a lot better and simpler.

I'll be accepting a set of (peer reviewed) reusable grammars as
part of Spirit2 distrib. I'd be interested in having a JSON
grammar. OvermindDL1's grammar is a good candidate. It would be
super if you both can iron out the details.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com