Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost-users] [review][constrained_value] Review of Constrained Value Library begins today
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-23 02:20:02

on Sun Dec 21 2008, Mika Heiskanen <mika.heiskanen-AT-fmi.fi> wrote:

> I guess the problem is that I believe invariant failures may be recoverable,
> but it does not seem to be the concensus.

They may be, but they may not be, and you can't know which, since your
program wasn't designed to behave the way it has behaved. Trying to
recover can do more damage than good in such a scenario.

> Perhaps I am thinking too much about servers which must not crash.

For such servers there are other approaches, like starting up a fresh
process and shutting down the current one. But all this is covered in
that thread I referred to:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c++.moderated/browse_frm/thread/80083ac31a1188da

--
Dave Abrahams