Subject: Re: [boost] Is program_options unmaintained?
From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-24 12:53:57

Hi Vladimir,

> Well, upon looking at your original email in my inbox, other of the
> reasons I did not replied immediately is that your email does not
> clearly state what the bug is exactly -- see my comments to the
> issue.

there is no reason whatsoever to justify how you spend your time. The
program_options library is free software and I consider myself fortunate
to be able to use this fine code. I have submitted an example program
that produces the following output:

 | Supported options:
 | --help this is a sufficiently long text to requ
 | ire word-wrapping
 | --prefix arg (=/h/proj/tmp/dispatch) root path of the dispatch installation

Personally, I like about program_options that it goes to great lengths
to produce nicely formatted help texts for the user and I believe that
the result could be even better if the message generated in the case
above would be word-wrapped at white space rather than in the middle of
a word. It's not a major problem, no doubt, but it would be nice to have
that case improved. I would love to hack the code myself and to submit a
patch, but unfortunately I cannot because I lack the time to do it. I'd
find it to be awesome if it would turn out that you care so much about
the library that you'll sit down in your spare time and do it. If you
don't, however, I don't any right to complain and I won't.

I wish you a merry Christmas,
Peter