Subject: Re: [boost] [logging] Interest check on logging library.
From: Jason Wagner (jason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-28 20:50:23

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 21:02:51 -0500, Emil Dotchevski
<emildotchevski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [snip]
> My point was that I think it's better to leave it up to the user to
> deal with the condition "manually", as in
> if( logging::warnings )
> log << "Warning";
> or
> if( logging::warnings && logging::severity>10 )
> log << "Severe warning";
> or even
> if( logging::warnings )
> {
> log << "Warning";
> if( logging::severity>10 )
> log << "Severe warning";
> }
> That way the logging library only needs to expose two independent
> interfaces, one that provides the "log" object (which is just a
> std::ostream &) and another that provides convenient compile-time or
> run-time flags for users to type in if statements as above.

One of the projects I deal with can generate several hundred MB of logs
over the course of a day if we have logging cranked up. We log both as an
light audit trail and a debugging tool. Dealing with that much
information can become rather difficult. There are a few things that come
to mind that I would change in it:

1) When reading the code, logging should scan like a comments-- they
should be readable and informative but ignorable. A lot of logic,
conditionals, or even excessive formatting distracts from figuring out
what a function actually does. Severity (debug, warning, error, etc) is
only one dimension, though the most common. If I add new dimensions, how
much does that affect complexity of the conditionals? What are the
chances of mistyping one of the conditionals and not getting a logging
message?

2) The logging output needs to be well formatted, readable, and broken up
into manageable pieces. Imagine getting a packet or request in, then
having to dump it. Does it show up as one or two records? Does it end up
on a 500 character wide line? How much overhead should one add to the
site of the logging call to format this? If I split my files into an log
file that contains everything and an audit file that only contains some,
should the formatting be the same? What if I want to merge them at a
later time, do I need to edit everything and recompile? What if I want to
change output and direction at runtime? Do I think of all of that in the
function, or do I configure the logging and just let it fly?

The former implies that there should be an abstraction around the logic of
whether a record gets logged. The latter implies an abstraction around
formatting and how to determine the destination of the record. That and a
few extra bows is the extent of what I'm trying to do.

--
Jason Wagner
jason_at_[hidden]