Subject: [boost] Proposal: Add Loki Library's SafeFormat to Boost:
From: Tom Browder (tom.browder_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-30 13:43:13

The last Loki thread I see here is the one from 2002 discussing adding
Loki to Boost. I asked Andrei once about doing that specifically for
the Loki SafeFormat functions (FPrint, Printf, and SPrintf) and he
said FPrintf wasn't good enough yet.

However, I find all of them very useful and would love to see them
added to the Boost library

I know Boost has Format now, but SafeFormat has some advantages over
Boost.Format, one of which is that FPrintf can be output to C++
streams as well as to FILE pointers--very handy when one is gradually
converting legacy code to using C++ streams. In addition, I find the
SafeFormat family much easier to use than Boost.Format.

Andrei's original comments regarding FPrintf's shortcomings are here:

  https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4525195

His "Dr. Dobb's Journal" article describing SafeFormat is here:

  http://www.ddj.com/cpp/184401987

Thank you for your consideration.

Warmest regards,

-Tom