Subject: Re: [boost] Futures - Reviews Needed (January 5, 2009)
From: John Phillips (phillips_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-01 19:21:24

David Abrahams wrote:

>> That is my understanding.
>
> As a review wizard, isn't that decision in part up to you?
>
>> However, at this point, until persuaded
>> otherwise, I'm inclined to suggest to both authors that they
>> should find a way to work together and issue a joint release.
>
> I am inclined the same way, but if they're going to do that, we should
> not use a formal review to sort out any large-scale decisions that they
> can make between them.
>
>> I've looked at both libraries and the differences are subtle. Maybe
>> we just need to persuade them that it would not diminish their work in
>> any way if they were to submit a joint release. As both submissions
>> are of high quality, I would not want to discourage either author.
>>
>> It would also seem to me that the logging library proposals have the
>> same problem. It would be my hope that we could get the authors of
>> the various logging library proposals to work together and issue a
>> joint release as well.
>
> Again, aren't you able to influence that a bit as review wiz?

   The choice to do these together came from a discussion on the list
when they were submitted. Since Anthony's submission is an
implementation of the proposal for the standard, his interface is fixed
for him, and the thought from the discussion was we should at least look
at what the standard is adding. Braddock's submission differs somewhat,
and people wanted a chance to have a boost library that was different
from the proposal, if it proved superior.

   Sorry if you missed out on that, but it was several months ago. Ron
and I just went with the desires of those who commented.

   BTW: After long and honorable service, Tom stepped down as a review
wizard a bit more than a year ago. I'm sure he would have plenty to
offer if he wanted it back, but as far as I know, he hasn't asked to be
re-appointed.

                        John